Saturday, October 26, 2013

The In-laws Return from Newfoundland


My in-laws recently came back to Lebanon from an extended stay at the family cottage in Newfoundland. How they lasted several months alone on a windswept, rocky outpost thousands of miles away from the frenetic bustle of Beirut is a mystery to us all. The cottage is perched above a beautiful cove but there is nobody for them to talk to. Some of the neighbours are quite friendly, but things never progress past polite interest.

For my in-laws there is a language barrier on top of the ordinary challenges of making friends while vacationing in a small, remote village whose inhabitants are nearly all related to one another and a whole culture removed from you. My mother-in-law doesn’t speak English and although my father-in-law does, he misses a lot if it’s spoken too quickly or with an accent. I’ll leave it to you to imagine him trying to follow a rapid exchange between a couple of rural Newfoundlanders. It’s a shame because both of my parents-in-law love to laugh and those cod-swallowing, shanty-singing Newfoundland folk have a fantastic sense of humour.

It seems that my in-laws filled the long hours of their trip with food-related activities. I don’t mean that they ate too much, though that is an unparalleled way to pass time on vacation, but that they spent a great deal of time talking about, acquiring and preparing food.

First it was caplin, the little fish that roll onto Newfoundland shores to spawn in early summer. The locals go down with nets to scoop them up and my in-laws were right there, gathering up bagfuls. For some weeks the consumption of fresh and then frozen caplin was their reason for getting out of bed in the morning. They fried them, poached them, grilled them and ate them in garlic sauce.

Then it was cod season and new methods of preparing and cooking were needed to stave off boredom. My mother-in-law put a portable burner on the front step and made homemade fish and chips out of doors as salivating seagulls stood watching from the roof, hoping to find the plate of fish unguarded for a moment (they never did).

When the cod fishing season was over my in-laws looked to the land for employment. They planted parsley, mint and purslane and hunted for strawberries in the lanes.  Then the wild blueberries ripened and they threw themselves into the task of collecting every berry within a ten-mile radius of the house. Like everything in Newfoundland, the blueberries there are tiny and grow close to the ground. My father-in-law would do the picking each morning, grabbing up whole clumps of berries along with their leaves and bits of stem and carrying them home for my mother-in-law to clean. He must have developed a distinctly gorilla-like hunch during that period, roaming the endless meadows above the rocky cliffs, head lowered, eyes scanning the ground. With his arms dangling low to the ground he would have only had to shape his hands into claws and drag them through the dense scrub like a human hay rake, filling his plastic shopping bags with the prickly harvest.

My mother-in-law spent a couple of hours every third day or so cleaning the blueberries. Sitting in front of the tv, she would pick them off the stems, throw out the bits of twigs and rubbish, and then wash the berries. She would spread them out to dry on the table and when all the water was evaporated she would put some aside for immediate consumption and the rest in ziplock bags for the freezer. The fresh berries she pulverized with a wand blender and she and my father-in-law would sit outside in their twin chairs overlooking the cove, sipping their blueberry juice and discussing with satisfaction the anti-oxidant benefits they were getting.

When they weren’t harvesting the produce of the land my in-laws would take shopping trips into St. John’s. These journeys were executed in such a way as to deliver the maximum amount of diversion for the smallest outlay of money. They would spend the morning looking in clothing stores and hardware stores and wandering the enchanted aisles of Walmart but what they were really there for were the big supermarkets. These they would save for last.

The supreme over-sized supermarket is, of course, Costco, and through its hungry doors they would eagerly step, my mother-in-law with a steely glint in her eye and my father-in-law with a steely grip on his wallet. They have been fascinated by Costco since their first trip to Canada years ago. Naturally, they were amazed by the quality and prices, but it was the size of the packaged products that excited their imaginations. Here, in the magnitude of granola bar boxes and wheels of cheese was an explanation for the size of Canadians. They had been wondering about that ever since they got off the plane but now they wondered no longer.

 Two senior citizens who grow their own salad vegetables don’t require many groceries, and Costco doesn’t let you escape with a small quantity of anything. If you want Shreddies then by God, you’ll get Shreddies. You’ll have to carry the box home strapped to the roof of your car but my, what a good price per gram! There just aren’t many products in small-enough portions for my parents-in-law but they always found a few things, especially among the fruit and vegetables.

And so the weeks passed. Then it was time to return to Lebanon and my mother-in-law packed empty Metamucil tubs with blueberries she’d been saving up. She had my father-in-law seal them with duct tape and double-wrap them in plastic bags and then she put them – four in all, one for each kid – into her suitcase. At least she didn’t try to bring back any fish. (The first year I was there our kindly neighbour Sadie tried rather vigorously to get me to take back to Dubai a block of frozen cod fillets. Citing the risk of fish juice leaking into the suitcases of four hundred strangers who would understandably want to kill me, I refused.)

Yesterday my in-laws were over at our house for coffee and my mother-in-law was fondly recollecting the superior quality and better price of the Costco lemons compared to those in the local Dominion while I fought to remain alert. It’s hard for me to muster interest in grocery shopping at the best of times but there is something particularly numbing about vegetable prices. The information just seems to float out of my head. You could say to me, “Remember this: tomatoes at Hairy Bill’s Veggie-Mart are 80 cents a pound”, and then five minutes later ask me how much the tomatoes are at Hairy Bill’s, and I wouldn’t have a clue.

It’s not that I judge my in-laws for their interest in vegetable prices. It’s a sort of hobby, and a no less useful one than knitting or making twig furniture and -- if you come down to it -- a lot more useful than painting pictures of yellow warblers or writing mildly amusing blogs. It just seems a pity, as I said before, that that is all they could extract from their weeks in Newfoundland.

Part-way through my in-laws’ visit I had to leave the room to fix supper for Dude and when I came out again they had gone. Clearing away the coffee cups, I saw a small package lying on the table. “What’s this?” I asked M.

“Oh, the neighbours in Newfoundland gave that to Dad,” he said.

I picked it up. It said “Official Newfie Mosquito Trap” on it. Inside the clear covering was a miniature leghold trap, and a diagram of how to “trap” a mosquito with it.  “Ha,” I said, “that’s pretty funny. Did your mom and dad get a kick out of it?”

“Not exactly,” he said. “They didn’t realize it was a joke. Dad was asking me how to use it.”