Saturday, October 19, 2013

How to Close an Email (I'm Actually Asking)




I can’t take it anymore. If I don’t discover or invent a good closing for my emails soon, I’m going to use ‘love’, even when writing to my kids’ teachers or the guy we deal with at the bank. “Dear Anthony,” I’ll say. “I wish to meet with you to discuss renegotiating the terms of our mortgage. Are you free on Monday at ten? Love, Jenn.”

Ever since email became the ordinary way to communicate with people I have never felt satisfied with the way I closed a semi-formal note. I haven’t found a word or phrase that sounds quite right. And unless the email is to a friend or family member, in which case I use ‘love’, a couple of x’s or no closing at all, almost all my emails are semi-formal.
           
Truly formal emails are easy. ‘Sincerely’ is an excellent, if old-fashioned, way to sign off. You’ve also got ‘Regards’ at your disposal. It is somewhat lame but feels less dated than ‘Sincerely’, and it’s used so much now that nobody notices it.  ‘Best regards’ is terrible and should never be used by any person in any situation. (I speak on this matter with no authority whatsoever but rely on my inner compass of common sense which is correct at least eighteen percent of the time.)

I once knew an Irish woman who closed notes with ‘All the best’. How I coveted the phrase: perfectly in-between and all-purpose, and with as genial a meaning as could be. But I could never pull it off and I knew it. That woman’s Dublin accent gave her lexical impunity. She could say “perforated colon” and it would sound like poetry. When she signed off with ‘All the best’ you felt she was really wishing you well. If I signed an email with “All the best” the recipient would think I was either senile or sarcastic.
           
Don’t even think about signing off with “Cheers” unless you were raised in the British Isles, Australia or New Zealand. These are the only suitable accents. No, I’m sorry, there’s no negotiating on this one. While I commiserate with you and wish I could get away with it myself, I can’t condone it.

Some people say that signing off with “Yours” is a safe bet but I disagree. Do you know what are you committing to, when you say that you are theirs? You’re leaving it wide open to interpretation. You could be saying that you are their toe hair, or personal chef. I say, don’t take those kind of chances.

Years ago Theo received a letter from a friend’s mom which was signed, “Fondly, Shirley”. We still treasure the memory.
           
Have you noticed how everyone else seems to close their emails with absolute confidence? You never suspect a first-time usage, or doubt beneath a confidently typed “Looking forward to meeting you, Linda”. It’s that weird authority that a typed word carries. We all know that any moron with a laptop can put together a spell-checked email but somehow when it arrives in our inbox it has a gloss of professionalism just because it’s the typed word. When we see, “With best wishes, Stephen”, it looks polished and competent, even if we know Stephen to be two brain cells away from fungus.  

Maybe the whole problem with closings is that we write emails today more or less the same way we talk, but in the past letters were always more formal than conversation. We’ve grounded on some kind of transitional sandbar. Other than using “Dear --” to open an email (and more often than not it is “Hi --”), we are casual. The body of the note is brief and informal. We no longer write Jane Austen letters full of things like “My dear Sir, further to my letter of the 4th, I wish to ascertain the likelihood of your attendance at Lord Gherkin-Bunwich’s on the morrow”. We say, “Hi Bill. Are we still on for coffee tomorrow?” And when we tie up such a note, we instinctively shy away from formal closings. Yet, for reasons I can’t imagine, it looks strange to type ‘Bye’ or ‘See ya’ at the end of an email, the way we would at the end of a quick phone call to that person.

I don’t get it.

Love,

Jenn