Sunday, May 12, 2013

I Could Make My Own Happy Mommy Blog


            Lately I don’t feel like writing about Lebanon. I don’t even want to remember that I’m here. But I like writing and don’t want to see this blog crust over completely from disuse. Too bad I can’t find joy in baking cupcakes and taking photos of them and then posting all about it on a blog called “Happy, Perfect Mommy’s Happy, Perfect Life”.
            Ah, yes, I can see it. The homepage of this blog would show my husband (who would be called Matt, or maybe Peter), our two apple-cheeked toddlers and myself all hugging each other on a green lawn in front of our home with Errol, our yellow Labrador, grinning at our feet.
            I wouldn’t overlook the little introductory blurb beside the ecstatically happy family photo. It would say: My name is Jessica and I am a Christian and a mother to two beautiful boys. My husband Matt (or Peter) is almost as perfect as I am. He teaches grade five at our local school and still has all his hair. We live in a town that isn’t too big or too small and where neighbours still look out for each other (we even have a white picket fence around our back yard! lol). My greatest pride in life is being the best mommy I can be to our boys and recording every precious moment of their childhood in my scrapbooks. In this blog you will find thousands and thousands of photos of my scrapbooks and of delicious, nutritious meals I’ve prepared and funny stories about our little family (my favourite is one in which Matt gets a flat tire on the way to bible study and in changing the tire gets some grease on his shirt and then later at bible study everyone chides him for showing up in dirty clothes ha ha ha oh, you had to have been there, it was so funny!)
            In one photo you would see me standing in a bikini two weeks after delivering my second son and with the aid of a magnifying glass detect a tiny bulge just above my bikini bottoms. Here I would have the caption: OMG! I would never have posted this if I’d noticed that huge roll of blubber around my middle! Well, thanks to boot camp I was able to shed all my “baby weight” two days after this photo was taken and get right back to running sixteen miles a day (BTW I’ve already got Jayden up to two miles a day and have promised Dylan that he can start coming out with us on his second birthday).
            I would fill pages with photos of my knitting projects, and there would be dozens of comments from dedicated readers of my blog (many of them perfect strangers!) who would say kind things or ask me for patterns. Many more pages would show our family sitting around the supper table, or blowing out birthday candles while a roomful of friends and relatives cheered and didn’t look at their watches. There would be a shot (possibly my favourite) of Matt wearing a green fisherman’s sweater I had knitted – one of my earliest successes. He would be chopping wood behind the house on a crisp October day, pausing just long enough to look over his shoulder and smile tenderly at me while I snapped the photo.
            My blog would have a huge following. Not a single male would feature amongst my followers but with women it would be a hit. Entering my blog site would be, for them, like stepping into the set of a Hollywood sit-com, where the world is a cosy living room and things always end well. They would never have to know about Matt’s affair with the school janitor or Errol’s habit of biting my mother-in-law.  I would die before letting them guess at the pure evil that was my older son or find out that we’d never been able to get another babysitter after he teased the last one by dashing out into the street into oncoming traffic (the tractor-trailer passed right over top of him, not harming a hair on his head. GOD WILL PROTECT US). I would see that it never got out that I hate cats and turn the hose on any I find taking dumps in my flowerbed. I could manage to keep anyone from finding out our true identity by dropping misleading hints about which province we lived in and lying about our names (which would actually be Tammy and Raul). My followers would never know that Matt (Raul) hated my cooking and would wait until after I went to bed to get out the Doritos and Captain Morgan.

            You know, I find myself suddenly warming to Jessica, now that I know she’s actually Tammy (who, by the way, suffers from bulimia and has never run farther than from her car to the door of a Dunkin’ Donuts in her life). Raul sounds more interesting too, what with the Doritos and extramarital affairs, and as for the kids, well, I could learn to respect a kid with Jayden’s resourcefulness. Maybe I should make a blog about this family. They’re really starting to intrigue me.