Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Kassem Buys Grapes

            I sent Kassem off on a few errands this morning not long before two bombs went off in Bir Hassan. One of the things Kassem was to do was buy me some vegetables, and the roadside market he goes to is in Bir Hassan.
            After M called and told me about the bombs I tried calling Kassem. The line was busy, as expected. Whenever there is a bomb here the mobile networks get overloaded and don’t function. It’s one of the many reassuring things about Lebanon. Another reassuring thing about Lebanon is that you find yourself writing sentences that begin with: “Whenever there is a bomb here...”
            I wasn’t exactly chewing my fingernails off with worry for Kassem because the bombs weren’t on the same street as the vegetable market but still, they were pretty close. Then I remembered that text messages seem to get through even when the mobile network is clogged so I sent Kassem a few words in phonetic Arabic: “Kassem, are you all right?”
            About five minutes later my landline rang from an unknown number. “Hi Madam,” said a familiar, cheery voice.
            “Oh, you’re fine!” I burst out, rather more loudly than strictly necessary. “I was worried about you.”
            “Yes, I’m fine,” Kassem chuckled. “I’m calling from the grocery story by the dry-cleaner’s. There are other people waiting to use the phone so I won’t stay on the line but I saw your note and wanted to let you know that I was okay. I’m on my way back to the house.”
            When he rang the doorbell ten minutes later and swept in carrying bags of green peppers, cauliflower and clementines, he was in his usual good spirits.
            “I found you some grapes,” he said proudly, dumping the bags down on the kitchen table and opening one to reveal about five pounds of pale green grapes.  “It’s the end of the season but I managed to find these.”
            “Great, thank you,” I said, and I meant it. The grapes looked delicious. “But Kassem, what about the bombs? Were you anywhere near the area when they went off?”
            “No, no,” he said off-handedly and without apparent interest in the topic. “You mentioned you had a light bulb you wanted me to find a replacement for?”
            This was incredible. And yet, it was not.
            “Do you want to use the house phone to call your wife?” I asked. “She might be worried about you.”
            He laughed at the very idea. “No, she won’t be worried.”
            “Well, okay,” I said, a trifle nonplussed. “Uh, I guess that’s everything for the moment then.”
            We made our way toward the door. As I opened it to let Kassem go out he paused and turned to me, suddenly looking grave.
            And do you know what he said then? Please bear in mind that this is a man who lost his parents during the civil war when their building was destroyed by an Israeli air strike. He is also a man who never stops talking about his grandchildren, who constantly shows me their pictures and tells me what this one said on the weekend, or how that one is the best reader in his kindergarten class. He is full of love and compassion.
            From the living room a voice on the tv could be heard saying, “It is a scene of horrific carnage here and the number of known dead is expected to rise...”           
            Kassem shook his head in a sorrowful way and said, “Do you know what happened, Madam? Our fridge died last night and we’re going to have to buy a new one. It’ll be six hundred dollars at least.”