Friday, February 22, 2013

Is Smog Giving Lebanese Women Breast Cancer?


            “Lebanese women get breast cancer ten years earlier than women in Western countries.”
            It was a statement to make me sit up in astonishment. I was sitting in my doctor’s office, having come to see him for my annual check-up.
            Dr. Honeydew (no, of course not) sat behind his desk in a spotless blue shirt and red tie. He had asked me if I would like to have a mammogram and I was bemused by the question, having expected that he would tell me if I needed one this year. Mammograms aren’t a barrel of laughs, as you may or may not know. Why would I go to all the trouble of making an appointment and driving to the hospital if didn’t need to? I could give my boobs the equivalent experience by going home and asking M to back the car over them.
             “I had one done last year,” I said. “Do you think I need another one this year?”
            That’s when he told me about the cancer rates here. “The average age of breast cancer patients here in Lebanon is ten years younger than in places like Canada. That is why I recommend an annual mammogram for my patients over forty years of age, but because you are Canadian I will recommend that you have one every two years until you are fifty.”
            “But those rates don’t make any sense,” I said. “What about the healthy diet here, the low rate of obesity?”
            “Ah, but Lebanese women smoke a lot,” he said. “In Canada people are ashamed to smoke. They try to stop. Here, they are proud to do it.”
            Since he said it wasn’t necessary I opted to skip the dough press until next year, but a part of me was thinking that breast cancer rates in Western countries are presumably based on environment and lifestyle, not genetics, and since I was living in Lebanon wouldn’t that make me prone to the Lebanese cancer rates?
            Dr. Honeydew’s words kept coming back to me in the days following my check-up. I didn’t exactly doubt them, but I did suspect them of being an exaggeration.
            Finally I had a look on the internet for confirmation and guess what? It’s true. Dr. Honeydew did not exaggerate.  
            I learned that the median age of breast cancer patients in Lebanon is 52 years, compared to 63 years for developed countries such as the US.
            Unfortunately, other than one or two cautiously speculative observations about the high incidence of smoking in Lebanon, none of the researchers had submitted any theories as to why the breast cancer rate is so high here.
            If I were to be instantly and magically endowed with a PhD in the relevant branch of medical research I’d get right to the bottom of this and the first place I’d start looking would be air pollution. If I haven’t said it before, the pollution is terrible here in Beirut. In the three years since we’ve been back living here it has, for me, grown to eclipse all other negative aspects about this city.  Driving down the road is dangerous here; worse are the prospects of a pedestrian. Sitting at home in front of your tv can be dangerous, on certain lively nights. But the most dangerous thing you might do in Beirut is breathe.
            Here are four non-scientific facts from my personal encounters with air pollution in Beirut:
            1. The smell of diesel and car exhaust is strong enough where we live to force me to keep the windows closed most of the time. I air out the apartment in the morning and when that’s done I close the windows tight again.
            2. The pollution leaves a sooty black film on anything left outside. I notice it most on our balcony. If I clean the balcony floor one day (with soap, hose and mop; so that you could eat off of it if you wished), the next day it will be dirty. If, when I’m hanging up laundry to dry, the sleeve of a white shirt brushes the floor of the balcony it will have a sooty-black smudge.
            3. Depending on how windy the day is, my line-dried laundry usually smells strongly of exhaust. I’ve taken to putting much of my washing in the dryer to avoid this.
            4. Last week when I washed the inside of my kitchen window I used a soapy sponge and a squeegee. As the water ran down over the white aluminum frame at the bottom of the window I saw that it was dark grey (and I washed this window about three months ago).
            You can find scientific papers discussing air pollution in Beirut on the internet but they’re long and confusing and often out of date. They all seem to conclude with weak, and, I have to say, stupid summaries in which they take a very long time to cautiously opine that the air is really quite polluted here and more of us ought to use bicycles (have these people ever tried to cycle around Beirut streets? You’d live longer if you took up Highland dancing in a Cambodian minefield).
            I don’t know why the authors of scientific papers are so afraid of speaking in plain English but I have waded through the sludge and selflessly – some might go so far as to say heroically -- plucked out one clear fact for you: particulate matter concentration fifteen years ago averaged 200 micrograms per cubic metre across Beirut. Currently it may run as high as 500 in the worst areas of the city. Compare that to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency limit of 12 as set out in their National Ambient Air Quality Standards.
            That’s a frightening difference even if you don’t have any idea what particulate pollutants are or how they hurt us. You probably know what happens to people who inhale asbestos dust; well, this is the same concept. I’ve read only a little about particulate matter but I do sincerely advise you to avoid pursuing knowledge in this area. Frankly, it’s terrifying. These are microscopic bits of solid or liquid matter suspended in the air and when we breathe them in they sail right past our nose hairs, through the sinuses and down into our lungs. They’re just so very small that our normal defences can’t catch them. If they’re small enough they may even pass through our lungs into our bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream they can reach any organ in the body. In addition to lung cancer and all manner of respiratory illnesses they harden arteries and stop hearts. Really tiny particles may even reach the brain and imbed themselves there, snuffing out precious circuits and mimicking Alzheimer’s disease.
            An increase in concentration of 10 mcg/m3 particulates in the air is associated with an increase of 1% in mortality rate. I don’t know if that relationship is a straight slope into which you can plug any figures, but if it is that means increased mortality here in Beirut is twenty to fifty percent higher than it would be if the air was clean.
            This is really, really bad. I won’t depress you further with information about other air-borne pollutants (particulates aren’t the only bad things in the air) or chronic bronchitis rates in this country. Rather, I will leave you with the image of Dr. Honeydew stepping ahead of me out of his office after the check-up and, going a few metres down the hall, holding a door open expectantly for me.
            The thing was, the door he held wasn’t the exit door. It wasn’t even in the direction of the exit door. Since we had definitely concluded our visit I didn’t understand what was happening.
            I stopped and looked from him to the door he held open and back up the opposite direction of the hall where I knew the real exit door to be.
            “Is this – what--?”
            “It’s the bathroom,” he said, and gestured for me to go inside.
            Well, it was uncanny. The hot chocolate I had drunk in Caribou before my appointment had filtered through and I really needed the toilet but how could Dr. Honeydew possibly know that?
            As I blinked in surprise and stepped past him into the bathroom, he smiled. “I saw during the ultrasound exam that your bladder was full.”
            Honeydew, I thought, you know too much.