Friday, January 21, 2011

Nothing Will Happen

Driving down the street with Kassem yesterday in our usual, comfortable silence he suddenly turned to me and said, “Madam, I want you to know that I’m keeping the car gassed up at all times.”

“What’s that?” I said, thinking I hadn’t heard him correctly.

“I’m keeping the car full of gas at all times these days. Just in case. But don’t worry, nothing will happen.”

I realised suddenly that he was referring to the unstable political situation in the country right now. I looked at him like he’d sprouted a second nose.

“Don’t worry, Madam, nothing will happen,” he said, laughing at my expression.

I told M about it later that evening.

“Where does he suppose we’re going to drive to, anyway, if things do erupt around here? ”

“Ah, well, he’s right. It’s just better to have the car full of gas at times like this.”

“What? You think so too?” I said. “Why haven’t you said that to me before? Are things worse than I suppose?”

“No, no, things are not worse than you suppose. It’s really not a bad situation. Don’t worry,” he chuckled. “Nothing will happen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment